Interview with Bert Monroy, hyper-realist artist

Bert is a featured speaker at many world-wide conferences and is part of the Photoshop Dream Team of Photoshop World. His installed base of clients includes Apple Computer, Adobe Systems, Pioneer Electronics, Fujitsu, SONY, AT&T, Chevron and American Express.

Bert has also done a considerable amount of film work for Industrial Light & Magic, Pacific Data Images and R/Greenberg Assoc. He is an accomplished teacher and lecturer and currently teaches at San Francisco State University.

Bert is the author and co-author of several books, some of them are Photoshop Studio with Bert Monroy, Bert Monroy: Photorealistic Techniques with Photoshop & Illustrator and Commercial Photoshop with Bert Monroy.

Since he's very busy this interview is short, but nevertheless I think you'll find it interesting.

What hardware and OS do you use in your daily work?

My main machine is a dual 2.5GHz Mac G5. It is running Tiger (OS X 10.4.2).

What was the most challenging Photoshop related job you ever had? What did it entail?

I would have to say the most challenging came from a private investigator. She had a childhood photo of a client. She needed to prove that the child was in fact the client. I had to age the pre-teen to about the age of 55.

I never saw nor met the client so there was no influence into my end result. According to the PI, it looked exactly like the client so I guess I did OK.

Have you ever been in a situation where you were not satisfied with how a design turned out but the client was?

That is about the most common situation. I can't remember the amount of times that was the case. The bottom line-the customer is always right. As long as they pay the bill you have to grin and bear it.

Where do you get your design inspiration?

Sometimes I look through art books or magazines. Sometimes I just sit in a quiet corner of my garden and just meditate.

You've done a lot of film work. Did you usually have creative freedom or did you execute an already complete idea?

I never got creative freedom in film work. You do what you are assigned and that's it.

What are the features that you would like to see implemented in a future version of Photoshop?

Being under NDA with Adobe and being an Alpha tester, I'm afraid I can't answer that one. Once they have my list, it is theirs.

What advice would you give to up-and-coming Photoshop designers?

Master your craft. Do it because you love it.

What are your plans for the future? Any interesting developments?

Plugging away. Working as hard as I can to get everything done.

On my own time I am working on my first panorama. The final print will measure 40" x 120". Want to talk about huge file sizes? My machine is very angry with me. I am pushing it to the point where it is emitting little puffs of smoke. If I ever get it done I plan to unveil it at my painting session at Photoshop World in Miami next March. That said, I'm getting back to work.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6:09 PM

Too bad the interview was so short, I really liked his Photorealism stuff on Lynda.com. Nevertheless I mentioned this interview on my blog.    



6:16 PM

I expected it to be short to be honest, I can only imagine how much work he has. Since he just got back from Photoshop World in Boston my interview must have had some bad timing. Oh well... As for his photorealism on Lynda.com, I checked that out just a week ago, pretty good stuff.

Thanks for the mention on your blog. It does look interesting although it's in a language not present in my memory implant :)    



8:24 PM

Pretty good, although a bit short :), interview. I always find interesting hearing what these "Big" designers have to say. I think you can always take something away and apply it to what you are doing.

Not surprise Mr. Bert is a fellow Mac user, although I would've like to hear what other equipment he has.

Pretty goof stuff regardless    



» Post a Comment